Are you buying, selling or re-mortgaging your home?
We provide a premium conveyancing service at competitive prices.
Please request a bespoke quote by using the form below.
This form is not an online quote generator – a member of our staff will prepare a quotation as soon as we are able based on the information you provide to us about your property transaction.
Our normal response time is 1-2 hours if a request is sent within working hours and next working day if your request is sent during the evening or weekend.
Please feel confident in providing the information we request as we are not a call-centre and there will be no irritating follow up sales calls or disclosure of your details to third parties.
Request a Conveyancing Quote
Our residential property team provides legal advice and services for:
- Residential conveyancing (purchase and sale)
- Buy to let
- Equity Release
- Tenancy and lease arrangements
When choosing a conveyancing specialist the main concerns are to choose a firm of solicitors who will be able to get the job done properly, efficiently, and cost effectively.
We provide an individual service for our clients based on recognised quality standards. For more than five years we have been awarded the Law Society Conveyancing Quality Mark which is assessed and awarded annually.
With a significant proportion of our conveyancing work arising from the South Tyneside area, we find our clients use us time after time and are happy to recommend us to their friends and family.
Estate agents and mortgage advisors also recommend us to their clients and it is always reassuring when other professionals feel that our service would be good for their clients.
At the end of this page you will see links to the qualified legal staff who provide our property services. Each link takes you to more information about the member of staff, their qualifications and experience.
Our Prices- we would like to give you an indication of our prices for our services.
An average sale or purchase price for buying or selling a property in the South Tyneside area is £150,000 and we have used this average price to provide illustrations which give an indication of the total costs involved in using our services.
A SALE of a freehold property for £150,000 would be approximately £558.00 and a breakdown of the costs involved can be accessed here: Sales Price
Excluding Stamp Duty the PURCHASE of a freehold property for £150,000 would be approximately £887.38 and a breakdown of the costs can be accessed here: Purchase Price
We can’t provide the exact information for a leasehold sale or purchase but the above examples can be used as guide until the additional fees for the Leasehold Charges to the Landlord or Managing Partner Agents are known as they are different from property to property.
If you need to re-mortgage a residential property our average price would be £495 which includes our costs and disbursements.
Keeping in touch
We like to keep our clients fully informed throughout their transactions. Many of our clients prefer to rely primarily on telephone and email to communicate and progress their transactions and if you are living some distance away this may be the only way we can carry out your instructions.
However, clients are always welcome to visit our offices to meet the Solicitor managing their case. This offers a good opportunity to make personal contact, and to discuss the schedule and process in more detail. If you are able to visit our offices it gives us the opportunity to check your documents with you and obtain signatures rather than waiting for posted documents and this helps us to complete transactions efficiently and save time.
Additional information : Purchases
How long will my house purchase take?
How long it will take from your offer being accepted until you can move in to your house will depend on a number of factors. The average process takes between 6-12 weeks, but can take longer.
It can be quicker or slower, depending on the parties in the chain. For example, if you are a first time buyer, purchasing a new build property with a mortgage in principle, it could take up to 26 weeks or longer depending on when the new build property is finished being built. If you are buying an auction property you may have committed to completing the transaction in a month. However, if you are buying a leasehold property that requires an extension of the lease the process can take between 3 and 9 months.
What are the stages of the purchase process?
The precise stages involved in the purchase of a residential property vary according to the circumstances, but these are the basic stages;
- Take your instructions and give you initial advice
- Check finances are in place to fund purchase and contact lender’s solicitors if needed
- Receive and advise on contract documents
- Carry out property searches
- Obtain further planning documentation if required
- Make any necessary enquiries of seller’s solicitor
- Give you advice on all documents and information received
- Go through conditions of mortgage offer with you
- Send final contract to you for signature
- Agree completion date (date from which you own the property)
- Exchange contracts and notify you that this has happened
- Arrange for all monies needed to be received from lender and you
- Complete purchase
- Deal with payment of Stamp Duty/Land Tax
- Deal with application for registration at the Land Registry
Stamp Duty or Land Tax (only applicable to purchase transactions)
Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT) is a government tax based on the value of the property to be purchases and your property ownership history.
You can calculate the amount you will need to pay by using the HMRC calculator https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/calculate-stamp-duty-land-tax/#/intro or if the property is located in Wales https://beta.gov.wales/land-transaction-tax-calculator
Our Fixed Fee quotations includes disbursements and stamp duty and should provide a clear understanding of the total cost of a purchase transaction and the full funds you will need to complete the transaction.
Although buying a property can be daunting due to the amount of funds involved, usually the only payment we need to start a purchase transaction is the search fees payment.
Additional information – Property sales
What are the stages of the selling process?
Sometimes a sale can be more complicated due to the individual circumstances of the property or how the current ownership is funded, but in a straightforward sale the steps are as follows;
- Take instructions and give you initial advice.
- Request mortgage redemption details from the lender and if property is in negative equity we provide advice.
- We ask the vendor to complete the standard house sale questionnaires in which you give information about the property and the fixtures and fittings
- Assist in negotiating arrangements for the fixtures and fittings (for instance if some are being left behind or being sold at a separate price)
- Assist in negotiating who will fix any issues raised in the buyer’s survey – sometimes the sale price is re-negotiated if appropriate to the issues
- Liaise with estate agent who has advertised and assisted in the sale of the property
- Deal with enquiries raised by the buyer’s solicitor and respond to enquiries
- Draft contract
- Agree completion date with vendor and buyer’s solicitor
- Exchange contracts (before or on completion date)
- Vendor provides keys (etc.) to the Estate Agent before or on the day of completion
- On day of completion – receive the sale funds, redeem the mortgage, send legal documents regarding ownership to the buyer’s solicitors. Pay estate agent. We make arrangements to refund any balance to the vendor.
How long will my house sale take?
How long it will take from an offer for your property being accepted until your property is sold will depend on a number of factors. The average process takes between 6-12 weeks, but can take longer.
Anti-Money Laundering Procedures
If you are conducting a property transaction anywhere in the United Kingdom you (and any funders of the transaction) must be able to prove ownership, proof of identity, residence and source of funds. If you are able to visit our offices it gives us the opportunity to check your original documents directly with you.
If you are considering instructing Hannays Solicitors and Advocates for your conveyancing but have a specific question not covered in the information we have given here please do not hesitate to email us or phone us.
Please call us on 0191 4974630 or 0191 4555361 to request a quotation or you can complete the online form that you will find at the top of this page.
CQS has established itself as the quality mark of the home-buying sector and enables consumers to identify practices that provide a quality residential conveyancing service. With so many different conveyancing service providers out there CQS helps home-buyers and sellers seek out those that can provide a safe and efficient level of service.”
Buying and selling a home can be a stressful time. Choosing a solicitor to help in that process just got easier. By looking for a CQS firm like Hannays Solicitors and Advocates, who have now been members of the Scheme for three years, the public can seek out a firm that has proved its commitment to quality.
The overall beneficiaries will be clients who will receive a reliable, efficient service as recognised by the CQS standard.
The scheme requires practices to undergo a strict assessment, compulsory training, self-reporting, random audits and annual reviews in order to maintain CQS status. It is open only to members of the Law Society who meet the demanding standards set by the Scheme and has the support of the Council of Mortgage Lenders, the Building Societies Association, Legal Ombudsman and the Association of British Insurers.